Saturday, January 31, 2009

Second Life Identity

I see an interesting thing happen to folks on SL. They start out as a Noobie with that generic fuzzy appearance we all recall with dread. And each person evolves to their own tastes, dreams, and wishes.

It's wonderful.

What I find amazing (and a little perplexing) are the folks walking around SL who seem to have self-limited their avatar. Body shape, skin color, species. You could be a completely different creature every day. You could be a vampire, an elf, a neko, a furry, a demon, anything you want, all in the course of a week.

A couple days ago, I was shopping for gowns, turned around...and found I was clothes shopping with a unicorn that had a baby dragon perched on its rump! How cool is that?!

I can understand folks self-limiting because of the cost. It does cost Lindens to have a lot of avatar variety. But I think the desire for variation is kind of a new thing. Designs have improved. When I was first on in 2007, animal shapes had a distinctly overly rounded in places sketched look. Horses legs didn't even move. It looked pretty raw.

There has been stunning improvement since, and I see lots of people now embracing nonhuman variations for their avatars as opposed to 2007.

So look at your avatar self. Take all the elements in your inventory that make your current look, make copies (add clothes so you don't wind up naked) of the elements that make that avatar "you", and put it all in a folder marked **Quick Me**.

There.

Now you can access your favorite shape, skin, hair, eyes, and basic outfit all in one inventory click by right clicking that folder and selecting Add to outfit.

Boom. No matter WHAT you do now, the you you is right there. Accessible in seconds.

Now that those elements are not scattered throughout your inventory, you may feel more free to experiment, because no matter WHAT you do... *click* you can be YOU again.

Now get out there and explore your inner octopus! Or beastman! Or robot! Or...

1 comment:

  1. You're absolutely right--there's no reason one can't save off one's appearance and then experiment utterly without fear.

    Somehow, though, I can't make myself do it. Long ago I experimented with being a cute little raccoon, but my heart wasn't in it. Maybe I'm old fashioned, or maybe my avatar is enough my ideal self that I cling to it tenaciously.

    ReplyDelete