Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Why I Left Second Life A Year Ago

Let's go ahead and get this out of the way, shall we? Right off the bat, I fully admit and acknowledge being a real human being. As a real human being, I am subject to quirky contradictions within my own personality. I acknowledge and accept the way I am. And for my blog to make sense to you, dear reader, you have to understand that too, though you of course are in no way obliged to like or respect me for this.

So...here is what happened. First off...you have to understand that I am not extremely social (in either Life). But...I have my moments. So back when I was in SL before...I decided to rent a house. Why? To entertain friends and see how my SL taste expressed itself. Yes. A not-too-social person renting space in SL for friends I really didn't have. Remember...contradictory in nature. I'm sure you have a few odd quirks too. Moving on.

So here I was happily bedecking my new house with fun sex furniture (hey, be prepared right?), art, rugs, patio furniture, hot tub....all that jazz. And I'd been assured by the landlord that in the event of my eviction, all my property would be automatically returned to my Inventory. Good to know. So I'd say I spent 15 to 20 real life American
Currency on furniture (at pre-economy crisis exchange rates...remember those?).

Then my computer conked out. Dead. I had no backup. Computer had to go in for repairs. Ultimately...I don't get my computer back for three weeks. I rez into SL....and there is strange furniture in my (former) house. I was, understandably and obviously...evicted. I quickly TPed to a sandbox (after all, I was now technically intruding in someone's home).

I open up my inventory to pull my furniture out of Lost and Found and put it in the Furniture folder....but all that was returned to me was ONE chair from my patio set, and the splashable water from my bathtub. One chair...and some water. Seriously. There were a few other things there in the L&F folder, and I thought...maybe that folder only had limited space...so I emptied it and waited a day. Nothing. I sent an IM to my former landlord...I got back a form letter notecard explaining that my furniture was returned to me. A form letter.

Let's just say...I was upset by this. I logged off. Pissed as hell.

Did I handle it properly?
No.
Did I delete all my furniture boxes because I got upset by their very existence in my inventory?
Like a dumbass, yes.
Did I attempt to get furniture replacement from the stores where I'd bought it?
No. I felt sick when I thought of my lost furniture.
Was this completely stupid?
Looking back...yeah. But at the time I thought I was just Shit Outta Luck.

Fast forward to one month ago (away a full year at least). I update SL....and log back in. After all...I was paying for a monthly membership I wasn't using. And it was time to look around again to see if I wanted to keep paying. My L$s had increased nicely in my absence...so I decided to go shopping.

So here I am again. I now have a backup computer, but I've not got up the courage to put down "permanent" SL roots yet. Though I have been considering it. A little.

No comments:

Post a Comment